Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Down wind sail configuration

smiles bernard

Thanks that is great
I'll have a look at the owners manual
We take delivery of out 1984 maramu 46ft next Tuesday.
I know it has had its electric curler replaced with a profurl electric unit
So sounds like it would need 3 luff groves and also a special top swivel.
My old small halmatic 30 had a triple groove on the furler but no special swivel on the top

I wonder if that clever locking swivel part is entirely necessary assuming I probably don't have it. I.e. Would it furl up anyhow

Also since the balooner is amel specific I wonder where I can get sail plans for an old girl.

Many thanks for your help folks

On 16 Aug 2017, at 18:43, parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles
The ballooner setup is quite unique to AMEL boats. The sail is similar to a cruising chute, the same dimensions as the genoa, but goes up a second luff groove on the genoa furled. It is hoisted by a continuous halliard arrangement that enables the head of the sail to be engaged in the top swivel and the halliard to be completely removed. Thus enables both sails to be reeled simultaneously on the roller or rolled in completely. A third luff groove enables the ballooner to be lowered by hoisting a plastic 'mouse' which releases the ballooner - hence Chris's comment about his fast the sail comes down.

The twin articulated poles again are unique. They are much safer to deploy shorthanded than a spinnaker pole since none of the moving part of the pole is over the deck. The four pole control lines are colour coded individually and marked with the optimum creating off position to facilitate an easy set up prior to unfurling the genoa and then hoisting the ballooner.

All the instructions and diagrams are in the SM owners manual, a copy of which I believe is on file.

Hope this gives a quick overview, but reading the chapter will make more sense.

Good luck

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96