Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Intermittent A/C Seawater Pump

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Start capacitor 10mf

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 17, 2017 09:44, "trifin@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi All,
After some fault-finding on our AirCon system, I'm fairly confident I've isolated the problem to the Calpeda Seawater pump. The pump is being energised to start by all three A/C sub-systems, but most of the time it doesn't spin up. (Sometimes it does, just to make fault-tracing more interesting :-)

Anyway, each time I turn on the system and the pump doesn't start, I can make it work by first turning the the system back off, giving the pump spindle a little spin with a screwdriver and then turning the system on again. There is usually a little resistance to spinning which feels like it could maybe be a blockage, but if I turn the spindle through 30-60 degrees it frees up.

I'm interested in hearing any theories as to where I go next? Could there be debris in the pump? Is it a capacitor failure (is that a start cap or a run cap that I see in there on top of the pump?). Is this a sign I need to service or replace the pump?

All theories entertained !

Many thanks
Dean
SY Stella