Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: winter liveaboard?

eric freedman

Ryan,

Here in the USA you have 60 cycle 220-240 volts in all the outlets.

The water heater is a resistive device and doesn’t really care what frequency the electric is. The AC unit and chargers work on 50/60.

The dishwasher, Watermaker , and Washing Machine all work ONLY on  50 hz.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:14 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: winter liveaboard?

Those are good ideas.  I used to have one of those Eva-Dry units and they are indeed a joke.  I had it for the summer though, not the winter.  It tends to be very dry here once the temperature goes below freezing.  My old boat had an Espar (Eberspacher), my new one does not.  That goes a long way towards keeping the boat dry because it exchanges air with the outside.  I think I'm going to try to heat with electric only this year rather than install one of those systems.  I also do not have a 50Hz inverter, but I'm sure I can find a similar dehumidifier that works at 60Hz.  I may also add a 50Hz inverter so I can run the washing machine.  Does anyone have experience separating out the electrical system so some things run on the inverter and some things don't?  Or did you just wire it right into the main breaker (in which case how do you run the hot water heater)?

Thanks,

Ryan

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:45 PM, svperegrinus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For two people living permanently on am SM2K, we find in cool climates you need the following to avoid damage from condensation arising from high humidity.

1.  Always run the kitchen exhaust fan while using propane.

2.  Run at least two dehumidifiers permanently.  We have the Eva-Dry EDV-2200 with peltier technology, which is a bit of a joke and is not sufficient if people are living on the boat.  Don't recommend it.  We also have the DeLonghi DNC 65 with desiccant technology, highly recommended for low power use averaging about 50W, low noise, small size, and ability to keep dehumidifying even at low ambient temps when we are out and about.  Runs in the U.S. if you run it from your 50Hz inverter.

3.  Run the Eberspächer diesel heater at least once a day and for at least one hour.

4.  On any days with low ambient humidity, open all hatches and run fans.

5.  Install humidity monitors throughout the boat, and especially in the problem area on the berth above the batteries.  About $40 total.

6.  Open cabinet doors and rotate stored clothes as needed.

Cheers,

Peregrinus

SM2K N. 350

En route, Thermopylae to Skiathos

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.