Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge maitenance

Mark Erdos

Joerg,

I am not sure how the 55 is configured but I have a couple of tips.

I remove the float switch. I put about 2 cups of bleach into the bilge and fill it to the top. I let it sit for most of the day. This will loosen any soap scum etc. You could also use bilge cleaner fluid. I use a toilet brush attached to a longer stick to scrub the sides. I then connect the wires together to activate the the bilge pump (the wires that attach to the switch on the float). This will pump out the water. I use a shop vac with a long tube to suck up any larger bits and completely dry the bilge. Sometimes I have to fluch a couple of times using a fresh water hose.

This is a good time to eye the copper wire that connects to the keel bolt to ensure all is okay. Then, I replace the float switch.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us