Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Greasing the Bamar 1.01 Furler

Porter McRoberts

Dean
The plate sans screws just levers out easily to reveal a grease packed gearing. Grease should completely fill the space. Often the gearing cavitation through the grease and creases a working channel, using only the small amount of grease immediately surrounding the gears. Ultimately using up that grease without mixing with the rest of he fist sized ball of grease contained within.
Remove the plate, remove the bearing grease and then repack around the threads, carefully running the motor too and fro to work he grease in. Then repack and close up.
A photo follows. Hope this helps!

Porter
S/V Ibis.
54-152. Fort Lauderdale.

On Aug 27, 2017, at 4:07 AM, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Our Bamar 1.01 staysail furling motor is very noisy.

I've read previous threads, and one thing which was suggested was to re-grease the gearing mechanism.

This part of the furler is not detailed in my manual.

Can someone please advise if it is the nameplate (aft facing) which needs to be removed in order to access the gearing?

I can undo the four screws, but I'm not sure exactly how to remove the plate which is still quite firm.

Just thought I'd check before taking to it with a screwdriver!

Many thanks

Dean

SY Stella

Amel 54 #154