I stand by my usage of bleach. The only copper in the bilge area is the copper grounding (which I easily replaced shortly after purchasing). While I agree bleach is a corrosive agent to copper, I do not think the 2 cups of bleach used every two or three months diluted with about 3 gallons of water and then flushed with fresh water is going to destroy my Amel. I see no evidence of corrosion to my copper grounding (which I inspect during each cleaning) and have used bleach for 5 years to clean the bilge.
With best regards,
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Grenada
I know bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is a great cleaning agent, but in the concentrations being talked about it is actually quite corrosive to copper. It would be best to avoid its frequent use in the sump if you want you copper grounding strap to last.