From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2017 1:19 PM
To: Barry Connor connor_barry@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Don't pole out the Genaker?

Sorry for Yankee read Code Zero - your Genakker is probably the same sail by the different name.

peter

On 27 Aug 2017, at 14:06, SV Garulfo svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Peter

It may well be the same sail that I've been calling a Genaker with a built-in furler (and a luff line). We did tear it too last week.

You didn't mention the wind angle, but presumably it's pretty dead downwind to have the genoa poled out to winward. Didn't you feel a need to also pole out the Code zero? I understand you said you have only one pole, but did you wish you had two?

We do have two poles, and I'm still confused about whether it's ok to use on the Genaker/Cruising Code Zero (as the combination of gear sold by Amel for that boat suggests) or not (as the documentation reads).

Best,

Thomas

Garulfo

Amel 54 #122

Back from Corsica

Hyeres, France

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 at 10:32, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Well both sails were on Carango when I bought her from Rudi Peroni. The Yankee is a slightly high cut genoa and in this rig set up we completely unfurl it to the pole. The code zero has its own luff line and a furler with an everlasting furling rope on a drum at the foot. It can only be fully deployed or fully rolled up. It is a great sail and after destroying it we are having a replacement made by Ullman sails inCape Town - they ship it to St Maarten where they have a small loft.

Peter

On 26 Aug 2017, at 07:25, SV Garulfo svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Peter for your answers

For my understanding ,

1. Is your Yankee a specific sail or simply the genoa (ie foresail) furled in appropriately for the conditions? I presume the latter.

2. Is your Code Zero the 100m^2 Genaker with 'built-in furling' (for my lack of a better word) Amel offered as an option on the 54, or a specific sail?

3. What wind angles would you keep that setup for?

Cheers

Garulfo

Amel 54 #122

Back from Corsica

Hyeres, France

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 at 21:59, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Garulfo,

We sailed from Cape Town to Salvador Brazil flying a poled out Yankee on the just windward side and the code Zero on the just downwind side ( a huge amount of sail) and Mizzen of course with preventer downwind side and our 54 sailed really fast and comfortably in up to 22kts true.

All went well until we were hit by a squall of 27 kits and the code Zero blew out but no other damage.

This is definitely a rig I will use again. We only have the one Amel 54 standard pole.

Peter Forbes

00447836 209730

On 25 Aug 2017, at 18:22, SV Garulfo svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I was going through the Amel documentation for the 54 optional items and, regarding the gennaker with built-in furler, it reads "Don't pole out this sail" and "Don't use the gennaker at the same time as the genoa". That's my translation of the french document 'Amel 54_Equipement_optionel_V1.4', section 7-3-7.

What do you make of that advice?

I was definitely planning to use the double pole setup with gennaker and genoa for downwind sailing.

Thanks for any advice and experience,

Fair winds

Thomas

Garulfo