Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

jhe1313@...

Gavin, I own a 55 and have gone upwind in 35 kn plus In the Strait of Gibraltar. We had the staysail and a heavily reefed main up. The boat was going 6.5 kn at 30 to 35 apparent wind angle and was generally behaving great. When the wind was going above 35, kn we furled a bit of the staysail. The curler worked fine. But to tack, you need to furl the staysail. Otherwise, you will shred the staysail sheets on the fittings for the pole. You will need the runners on hard, using the small cockpit winches as per the Amel instructions. Hope that helps. Cheers Joerg