Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Impeller job on the Volvo D3-110

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello porter,

We replaced ours this year. I had to remove one of the hoses from the engine block close to the engine oil dipstick. Then there is sufficient access to undo the cover on the impeller and remove it with needle nose pliers. I will try to post a picture for clarity.

Be very careful about the salt water pouring out of the pump. Make sure that not only do you vacuum the water from the sea water chest as you have done, but have plenty of rags over the alternator which is placed directly under the impeller.

You have to really get personal with you d3-110 as you will find sometimes lying belly down on the top cover helps to have both hands available for the job. Being a contortionist also helps on some other jobs that you will run into in the future.

For us, it has been a reliable engine with about 1800 hours. I know others on this forum that have had a bear of a time.

Why did you install a new engine on such a young boat?

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
323-633-2222 Cell
310-454-3148 Fax

On Aug 27, 2017, at 11:00 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I think I'll need an angled needle nose plier. There is just very little working space!  Or even better and angled vise grip if something like that even exists!!

Thank you again JP!!

Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 27, 2017, at 4:52 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Porter,

Can you not get some needle nosed pliers in the impeller?  I admit the work area is better on the SM than the 54… one of the few advantages.

:-)

JPG

On 27 Aug 2017, at 21:32, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you JP
I have seen the diagram. The issue is on my engine the hoses are directly in the way as is then engine itself. Does one remove the whole pump?  Take down the serpentine belt?

I have removed the impeller plate and I can see the impeller. The problem is getting it out of the housing from my position I have no point of leverage or angle of attack!

I appreciate your help!!

Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 27, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Porter,

STOP!!! do not remove the hoses.  See diagram, it is self explanatory… at least to me…

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 27 Aug 2017, at 21:20, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Happy Sunday to this awesome crew.
Decided to change the impeller on our new D3 today. Engine has 170 or so hours and did the oil so why not go ahead and do the impeller.

I've reached a stopping point. And to best explain the predicament I've posted a short video. If one of you knowledgeable folks on the D3s could lend a few neurons my way I'd be appreciative.
Many many thanks

Porter

S/V IBIS. 54-152
Fort Lauderdale.