Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Impeller job on the Volvo D3-110

Peter Forbes

Porter,

My puller looks quite different to yours. I can’t send a photo as my 54 is in Grenada at the moment - try for a shorter more squat puller - mine seems to work without removing those hoses.

Peter Forbes
Amel 54  #035
Grenada

On 27 Aug 2017, at 21:55, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I think I'll need an angled needle nose plier. There is just very little working space!  Or even better and angled vise grip if something like that even exists!!

Thank you again JP!!

Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 27, 2017, at 4:52 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Porter,

Can you not get some needle nosed pliers in the impeller?  I admit the work area is better on the SM than the 54… one of the few advantages.

:-)

JPG

On 27 Aug 2017, at 21:32, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you JP
I have seen the diagram. The issue is on my engine the hoses are directly in the way as is then engine itself. Does one remove the whole pump?  Take down the serpentine belt?

I have removed the impeller plate and I can see the impeller. The problem is getting it out of the housing from my position I have no point of leverage or angle of attack!

I appreciate your help!!

Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 27, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Porter,

STOP!!! do not remove the hoses.  See diagram, it is self explanatory… at least to me…

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 27 Aug 2017, at 21:20, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Happy Sunday to this awesome crew.
Decided to change the impeller on our new D3 today. Engine has 170 or so hours and did the oil so why not go ahead and do the impeller.

I've reached a stopping point. And to best explain the predicament I've posted a short video. If one of you knowledgeable folks on the D3s could lend a few neurons my way I'd be appreciative.
Many many thanks

Porter

S/V IBIS. 54-152
Fort Lauderdale.