Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hurricane Harvey - Longbow

James Sterling

Island Moorings started kicking out liveaboards last year in favor of the large sport fisher type boats.  They didn't fare well.  Nothing is hurricane proof.  Many of the big sport fishers are sitting on my pier here in CCM.  The ones that got here before the storm are ok.  The ones that are showing up today have damage.  I think we had wind here of 80+ knots.  Nothing like Rockport.  Selective damage there because of the swarms of twisters embedded in the eye wall.  Our favorite little aquarium there, where we used to take our dogs is gone, as are many other things.

James Sterling

S/V Longbow SM2K #418

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 3:58:40 PM CDT, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi James,

It is good to know that the CCCM fared well. I understand they did a few improvements there in recent years. We kept a Cheoy Lee there many years ago and at the time it was fixed old wooded docks. When we were there I never thought the sea wall would be high enough if the big one hit.

I am curious if the Port Aransas Marina and Island Moorings Marina had damage. Port A is pretty exposed and I cannot imagine how it looks today. When Island Moorings was built they were selling it as “hurricane proof”.  Both of these were close to the eye.

Cindy’s parents have a house in Rockport on the bay-front. Remarkably it is still standing. Although they did suffer some water damage due to a window being blown out. It didn’t break. The whole frame was pulled out. It looked like a tornado hit their living room. Many of the houses on their street were reduced to a pile of rubble. Her dad just completed a new dock. He is an engineer and…. well… engineers being what they are …the dock survived completely unscathed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery with your health.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:30 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hurricane Harvey - Longbow

Longbow, in the Corpus Christi City Marina was extremely fortunate.  At the last moment the eye of the storm turned and hit Rockport 25 miles away.  Rockport, a lovely little place, was almost obliterated.  There are many in the Corpus Christi and surrounding area still without power and everyone is helping each other.  Longbow rode it out in the slip and her lines stretched to the max.  We had left her when they called Cat 3 never expecting to see her again.  To make a long story short, she didn't have a scratch on her.  I'm extremely grateful because I had suffered a heart attack the week before and had just gotten out of the hospital.  My prayers go out to everyone affected and my friends still stranded on their boats in Kemah. 

James Sterling

S/V Longbow SM2K #418

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.