Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charger Thoughts?

greatketch@...

Steve,

I for one would love to see pictures of the hydrogenerator installation on your boat.

My old boat had a water generator of a different brand, and with it as the only charging source, on a 21 day crossing from Hawaii to California the batteries never dropped below 95% SOC--and that was on a boat significantly slower than a Amel.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Boston, Mass

---In amelyachtowners@..., <flyboyscd@...> wrote :

Hi Bill,

On our older SM, we have a single 100 amp Mastervolt charger which works well, and yes, we upgraded the wiring size. The charger does draw about 10 amps when it is putting 100 amps into the batteries in bulk mode, but usually steps down to a lower rate quickly, as I never discharge my batteries too far.

Because we are circumnavigating on our boat, redundancy is very important, and we carry a spare 80 amp mastervolt charger. I can change the chargers out in under 30 minutes, and never have to live with a greatly reduced charging capacity. It's a great solution for us, but a little more expensive than having a 2nd 30 amp charger.

We also installed a Watt and Sea hydro generator on the transom while in St Maarten last spring. We made a 3 day passage to Bonaire after installing the unit, never ran the generator, and arrived with full batteries. For anyone considering long passages, I think this is a great option. If anyone is interested in the installation, I can provide some pictures in a couple of weeks when we return to the boat. These are expensive gadgets, but we were fortunate to obtain a lightly used one from a friend in Martinique along with the custom made stainless mounting bracket for the SM. Sorry for the thread creep, but it seemed to fit in with charging the batteries.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Aruba