Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charger Thoughts?

Stephen Davis

Bill,

It is a fairly efficient machine, and really starts to shine above 7 knots, but does OK at 6. I was fortunate to find one used, and with someone else having engineered a very solid bracket. We are currently in Hawaii, but will get some pictures up on the forum when we return to Aruba and start preparing Aloha for our next leg to Columbia. It is only a 2 minute process to remove the unit from the transom, and store it in the aft lazarette. I think when you see our install, you will realize it does not hinder your access to the transom at all.

Steve
Aloha SM 72

On Aug 30, 2017, at 14:25, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Steve,

I for one would love to see pictures of the hydrogenerator installation on your boat.

My old boat had a water generator of a different brand, and with it as the only charging source, on a 21 day crossing from Hawaii to California the batteries never dropped below 95% SOC--and that was on a boat significantly slower than a Amel.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Boston, Mass

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi Bill,

On our older SM, we have a single 100 amp Mastervolt charger which works well, and yes, we upgraded the wiring size. The charger does draw about 10 amps when it is putting 100 amps into the batteries in bulk mode, but usually steps down to a lower rate quickly, as I never discharge my batteries too far.

Because we are circumnavigating on our boat, redundancy is very important, and we carry a spare 80 amp mastervolt charger. I can change the chargers out in under 30 minutes, and never have to live with a greatly reduced charging capacity. It's a great solution for us, but a little more expensive than having a 2nd 30 amp charger.

We also installed a Watt and Sea hydro generator on the transom while in St Maarten last spring. We made a 3 day passage to Bonaire after installing the unit, never ran the generator, and arrived with full batteries. For anyone considering long passages, I think this is a great option. If anyone is interested in the installation, I can provide some pictures in a couple of weeks when we return to the boat. These are expensive gadgets, but we were fortunate to obtain a lightly used one from a friend in Martinique along with the custom made stainless mounting bracket for the SM. Sorry for the thread creep, but it seemed to fit in with charging the batteries.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Aruba