Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Colombia

eric freedman

Hi Steve and Liz,

My girlfriends sister keeps her boat in Cartagena.

I will  get you the name of the marina in a few days.

There is not much to do In Santa Marta while Cartagena

Is an old city with much to do. Do you speak Spanish?

Please email me at kimberlite@...  so we can discuss Colombia and travels there.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:15 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Colombia

Hi Eric,

We were planning to spend about a month in Santa Marta while we did a few land tours. I had not heard of the black muck falling from the skies, and have to admit, it does not much appeal to me. Too bad, as it looks like a nice town, and very nice marina. Do you have any good suggestions for a secure place we can stay in Cartagena? Hope we can meet up with you while we are there, and thanks for the heads up on Santa Marta. 

Regards,

Steve and Liz

Aloha SM72

On Aug 30, 2017, at 17:54, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

I see you are planning to go to Colombia. The Santa Marta marina is one of the nicest ones I have ever been in. Unfortunately across the bay is a coal fired plant. In 3 days you will be leaving footprints in the soot on deck . I did not know this and left the boat there for a month. When I returned everything to windward looked like a black flocked Elvis mural. It took 3 days to remove the sails and wash what we could. As we headed to Guadeloupe , when it rained, it rained black from the high rigging- Moral skip Santa Marta.

Cartagena is a better choice. When you get near Colombia , please drop me a note as I am there about every 6-8 weeks on business and would love to meet.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charger Thoughts?

Bill,

It is a fairly efficient machine, and really starts to shine above 7 knots, but does OK at 6. I was fortunate to find one used, and with someone else having engineered a very solid bracket. We are currently in Hawaii, but will get some pictures up on the forum when we return to Aruba and start preparing Aloha for our next leg to Columbia. It is only a 2 minute process to remove the unit from the transom, and store it in the aft lazarette. I think when you see our install, you will realize it does not hinder your access to the transom at all. 

Steve

Aloha SM 72

On Aug 30, 2017, at 14:25, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Steve,

I for one would love to see pictures of the hydrogenerator installation on your boat.  

My old boat had a water generator of a different brand, and with it as the only charging source, on a 21 day crossing from Hawaii to California the batteries never dropped below 95% SOC--and that was on a boat significantly slower than a Amel.

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Boston, Mass

---In amelyachtowners@..., <flyboyscd@...> wrote :

Hi Bill,

On our older SM, we have a single 100 amp Mastervolt charger which works well, and yes, we upgraded the wiring size. The charger does draw about 10 amps when it is putting 100 amps into the batteries in bulk mode, but usually steps down to a lower rate quickly, as I never discharge my batteries too far.

Because we are circumnavigating on our boat, redundancy is very important, and we carry a spare 80 amp mastervolt charger. I can change the chargers out in under 30 minutes, and never have to live with a greatly reduced charging capacity. It's a great solution for us, but a little more expensive than having a 2nd 30 amp charger. 

We also installed a Watt and Sea hydro generator on the transom while in St Maarten last spring. We made a 3 day passage to Bonaire after installing the unit, never ran the generator, and arrived with full batteries. For anyone considering long passages, I think this is a great option If anyone is interested in the installation, I can provide some pictures in a couple of weeks when we return to the boat. These are expensive gadgets, but we were fortunate to obtain a lightly used one from a friend in Martinique along with the custom made stainless mounting bracket for the SM. Sorry for the thread creep, but it seemed to fit in with charging the batteries. 

Steve Davis

Aloha SM72

Aruba

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.