Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bilge Bonding strap connection to the keel - stainless steel or copper

Olaf RENOS at Yahoo <olaf_renos@...>

Hi Mark,

I found a manufacturer who gave me on yesterday a quotation for the copper bonding strap for my Santorin as the picture shows with a length of 140cm, 5mm thick, incl. overmolded black PVC, both ends has additionally pressed-on shucks (40mm x 40mm) and one of the shucks with a drilled hole. Here in Germany it will cost  EUR 55,00. Very cheap one ;-)

Fair winds

Olaf

MIA-AMARA

Santorin No. 135

LeMarin, Martinique

Sent: 31 August 2017 16:20
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bilge Bonding strap connection to the keel - stainless steel or copper

I am in the process of replacing our bilge bonding strap since ours was broken when we purchased the boat.  I just ordered a piece of 1/8" thick (3.2mm) x 2 inch wide x 48 inch long C110 Copper.  The retail price was ~$73.  For reference, that same size piece of material in 304 Stainless Steel is ~$20 and in 316 Stainless Steel it's $30.  So for an additional $40-$50 over the price of SS, you can use Copper.  If you amortize the cost difference over the life of the strap, it's pretty much inconsequential.  

That said, I am located in the USA and can easily get just about any material that I want.  I imagine in many of the more remote parts of the world that it's a lot easier to get Stainless Steel flat bar than Copper flat bar.  And certainly a Stainless Steel bonding strap is better than no bonding strap.

-- 

Mark McGovern

SM #440
SV Cara

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.