Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Anomaly

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Tom,

My first thought is that you have had a "de-Ameling" modification by previous owner(s)...I think it is serious and needs to be addressed. There are plenty of photos of how it should be.

From the view you posted we should see 1 neoprene donut seal that has been contact-cemented over a lip seal which is normally held down by a screw with a washer. The lip seal and the top side donut I spoke of earlier seal the outside water from coming into the boat when the bow thruster is DOWN. There are also 2 neoprene donut seals contact cemented to the top of the bow thruster foot...these two seal the outside water from coming into the boat when the bow thruster is UP with its safety pin engaged. It is a simple and reliable system.

It really disturbs me when I see someone try to outsmart this Amel design...I know that was not you.

Good luck.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 4:10 PM, peacock8491@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

We are hauled out for C-Drive and bottom paint.

We are trying to change the seal in the bow thruster trunk. It has not been changed for at least 8 years, and we do get quite a bit of water coming in while at sea.

All the pictures that I have seen in this group show a seal held in by two screws with washers. However, ours seems a bit different, see pic below. There is at least two centimeters of further hard casing above the seal. It seems to be integral to the entire setup. We are not able to see any screws, and hence are unable to change the seal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We splash back in the water around 1300 hours GMT on Friday, and would really like to change the seal. Sorry for the klunky picture.

Tom Peacock

SM 240 Aletes

Rock Hall, Maryland