Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Anomaly

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

John,

Read my earlier reply...

The screw and washer, if it has one, would be under the single foam donut which should be contact-cemented in place over the lip seal. The screw and washer, if it has one, holds the lip seal in place,

The reason I say if it has one, is I have seen Amel SMs without this screw and washer, and with no hole. I am not sure why because I believe that you would want to make sure that when the tube is raising that it does not pull the seal up with it.

There are plenty of photos in the Photo section and there are procedures in the Files section.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 4:55 PM, John Clark john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thomas, my BT looks similar.  I have a foam disk that feels glued to an epoxy bed.  No screws evident,  also no leakage.

My BT is an older model...form 1990.  Not sure when they updated it.

John
SV Annie. SM 37
Pamlico Sound.

On Aug 31, 2017 5:42 PM, "Thomas Peacock peacock8491@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Thomas Peacock included below]

Trying to get the pic to send.

On Aug 31, 2017, at 5:10 PM, peacock8491@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hi all,

We are hauled out for C-Drive and bottom paint.

We are trying to change the seal in the bow thruster trunk. It has not been changed for at least 8 years, and we do get quite a bit of water coming in while at sea.

All the pictures that I have seen in this group show a seal held in by two screws with washers. However, ours seems a bit different, see pic below. There is at least two centimeters of further hard casing above the seal. It seems to be integral to the entire setup. We are not able to see any screws, and hence are unable to change the seal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We splash back in the water around 1300 hours GMT on Friday, and would really like to change the seal. Sorry for the klunky picture.

Tom Peacock

SM 240 Aletes

Rock Hall, Maryland