Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Companionway ( washboard ) rubber seal replacement?

Ian Shepherd

Danny,

thanks for the advice but my exterior teak is not varnished but teak oiled as per the Amel original. The interior wood is of course varnished and I have always used Pledge furniture polish on this area.

BTW, Pledge Multi Surface polish works really well on the dodger windows and helps repel water without any observable problems.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Larnaca

On 03/09/2017 20:33, simms@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi. The easiest way to remove the black streaks on the wash board is to use a cloth damped with acetone. Don't get it on the rubber though. The easiest way to stop the black streaks is to apply furniture polish to the varnished wash board. Watch out though, it slides down real easy. To lengthen the life of all your varnish, inside and outside, use furniture polish regularly.
If the finish on your wash board starts to deteriorate. Before it goes too far, lightly sand with wet and dry paper and re varnish with a good quality varnish. Single pot is fine. Before I apply it I help adhesion by wiping with a cloth damped with acetone. Leave it a few minutes and then apply varnish
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 4 Sep 2017 7:11 a.m., "Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hello Mike,

I found the original Amel seal not to be that satisfactory in the predominately hot climate that my boat spends. The problem is that as the seal deteriorates it leaves black streak marks on the thin veneer on the washboard. Cleaning this deposit off the veneer is difficult, and if you use wet and dry you will soon rub through.

I have solved this problem by using a slightly smaller seal than the Amel original which I bought from an automotive shop for very little money. The smaller seal does not impinge with any force against the wood and so leaves no marks.

In order to ensure a water tight joint when the wash board is up, I used a strip of self adhesive rubber tape with a felt like surface, and placed it across the washboard so that when the board is fully up, the seal makes firm contact with the rubber tape.

Looks good and works well.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Larnaca Cyprus

On 02/09/2017 21:35, mdondra@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

We found a pretty good replacement for the weather seal on the sliding companionway hatch on the SM2000. Belt Weatherstrip/Window Scraper Seal from Rockauto.com part no. 1371-4X2. 2 48" pcs cost $29. Only need 23.5" or 60cm so enough material to do 4 times. Assuming the 2 pictures come through, this Weatherstrip actually finishes about 1/4" above the wood, but is still lower than the hatch itself when fully lowered, so is protected from foot traffic. The upper portion on both ends was trimmed back about 1/8" to improve water drainage.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM2000 #240

Rock Hall, MD