Spare Parts

eric freedman

New subject

Bill,

When I took delivery at Amel, I saw the plastic Vetus mufflers I bought spares at a marine plumbing store

In the marina.

The store was only marine plumbing. I also bought the coolest set of 4 propane / butane adapters that fits

any filling hose to the propane tanks on Kimberlite.

Years later one crewmember said they think something is wrong in the engine room, there was black smoke coming out of the kitchen sink,

I opened the hatch and could not see the motor. I went down with the cockpit shower and wet the muffler down, I think there is a photo of it on this site,

When I asked my sailing buddy to get out the spare muffler the other 2 guys rolled their eyes—

The engine raw water pump was pumping enough water to prevent the engine alarm from going off but not enough to keep the muffler full of water.

The plate on the pump was leaking a little air.

I now have a metal muffler on the Yanmar.

With respect to spares, when I received the parts manuals for the engine and genset, I highlighted all the parts I could change, I then bought all those parts. I also bought every spare pump and motor,

Starter motors and the 3 alternators. Also a complete gasket set.

I once had the valve cover come loose on the yanmar spilling 2 or 3 quarts of oil on the engine room sole, and chopping up the valve cover gasket. It sure was good to have a spare valve cover gasket.

I just spoke with Jeff  Kraus he is hunkering down in Puerto Rico on the boat.

The Hurricane prediction for all of Puerto Rico looks grim.

I will keep you posted.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:49 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

Eric,

I bow to your prowess on spares. I also know that you have a spare 175 amp alternator.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

How about spare Vetus Mufflers?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogro ups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

Eric,

With a spare bow thruster motor, you win.

Best

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

< div>

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

I do not know who has/had  more spares You on BeBe, Alexandre on Nikimat, or Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: amelyachtowners @yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 10:28 PM

Eric,

You are lucky to have a new AFMA pump. We can no longer buy them.

Best

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:23 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

My Amfa domestic water pump was leaking.

I removed the pump and found that the circlip that holds the pumps shaft seal was broken and worked its w ay into the side of the seal. I removed the seal and found it also had a small chip in it.

I ordered the metric seal from a local supplier and also the circlip from McMaster.

Being that I had a complete spare pump I installed it.

The pump would not pump water. I added water in the output side of the pump and it flooded the bronze impeller.

I was quire frustrated.

I assumed there was something wrong with the new pumps impell er. I took it apart, everything was 100%.

I was working on the saloon table and had the old pump next to the new one. Luckily I noticed that the Square D switch was wired backwards from the new switch. Thus the pump was running backwards. I switched the wires and Voila- Water.

Possibly this might help someone installing a new amfa pump.

Fair Winds

Eric

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.