Spare Parts

eric freedman

New subject

Bill,

When I took delivery at Amel, I saw the plastic Vetus mufflers I bought spares at a marine plumbing store

In the marina.

The store was only marine plumbing. I also bought the coolest set of 4 propane / butane adapters that fits

any filling hose to the propane tanks on Kimberlite.

Years later one crewmember said they think something is wrong in the engine room, there was black smoke coming out of the kitchen sink,

I opened the hatch and could not see the motor. I went down with the cockpit shower and wet the muffler down, I think there is a photo of it on this site,

When I asked my sailing buddy to get out the spare muffler the other 2 guys rolled their eyes—

The engine raw water pump was pumping enough water to prevent the engine alarm from going off but not enough to keep the muffler full of water.

The plate on the pump was leaking a little air.

I now have a metal muffler on the Yanmar.

With respect to spares, when I received the parts manuals for the engine and genset, I highlighted all the parts I could change, I then bought all those parts. I also bought every spare pump and motor,

Starter motors and the 3 alternators. Also a complete gasket set.

I once had the valve cover come loose on the yanmar spilling 2 or 3 quarts of oil on the engine room sole, and chopping up the valve cover gasket. It sure was good to have a spare valve cover gasket.

I just spoke with Jeff  Kraus he is hunkering down in Puerto Rico on the boat.

The Hurricane prediction for all of Puerto Rico looks grim.

I will keep you posted.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376