From: "kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 9/9/17 1:06 AM (GMT-04:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hurricane and canvas.

Duane,

Just to expand, the Raymarine instruments including the cockpit chart plotter are very waterproof. After being submerged many times we had no problems with the instruments, We also had no water down below.

We had the Jordan drogue out when the wind got round 50 knots, thus the stern was to the waves.

We also had the entire cockpit enclosure up. We call it the doghouse. It withstood the wind for almost the entire hurricane. The last 6 hours the zipper on the rear enclosure, which was facing directly into the wind started to come apart. We took some sail thread and sewed the zippers shut.

I now have the same enclosure but, I have had loops made of webbing sewn into the rear enclosure on either side of the zippers about every 10 inches. If necessary I can tie the
loops together and take the strain off the zippers..

If you have taken the dodger off you know what a pain it is. When I had it off for repair,
I had the sail maker put zippers the width of the dodger where the supports go. I just have to  unzip them and remove the forward bolt rope to remove the dodger.
Fair Winds,
Eric SM 376 kimberlite