Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs

Mark Erdos

Pat, the fact you can get to 3000rpm in neutral doesn’t tell us much. It is the load that is causing the problem. The engine is not generating enough energy to offset the applied load. Fuel is energy. This usually means fuel issues. The more load, the more fuel is needed to create the horsepower.

Where you able to get to 3000 rpm right before you changed the filters? Or, was this something you did to try to fix the issue?

Here are some additional thoughts on fuel:

Do you have a lift pump for fuel? (not sure on the Volvo and your Amel). If so check the diaphragm,

Air in fuel lines (connections loose). The engine will pull air rather than fuel if it can.

O-rings sitting correctly on fuel filter give a good seal?

If you changed the fuel filter is the new one sitting correctly and sealed?

A couple of other thoughts:

Check for blockage in exhaust hose (not enough air to burn fuel)

I know you said you cleaned the prop but is it possible something is caught in it (piece of rope or fishing line)

Let’s hope it is something this simple J

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us