Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Central America?

Jean-Pierre Germain <jgermain@...>

Hi Rick and Linda,

I arrived in Curaçao today. I've given your question much thought. I also have some books.

Time for a beer???

Jean-Pierre

On 14 Sep 2017, at 17:12, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Rick,
I spent six months in Panama, mostly in San Blas, Portobelo, and Shelter Bay.  I didn't go to Columbia.  So far SB is my favorite venue after 30 years of cruising the Caribbean. That wasn't enough time for San Blas, and I didn't even get to Bocas Del Toros.  When I head S again, I'll do another Six months or more there and Belize to Costa Rica before transiting the Canal and heading for the S Pac.

Electronic and paper charts are equally poor in San Blas, travel only when the light is good and you can read the water (generally 10AM-2PM).

See earlier posts about checking into Panama, it sounds like you can again check in at Porvenir.

There is very little shopping in SB.  Stock up well b4 leaving Curacao. It's a daysail and $50 taxi ride to the closest big grocery, and an overnight sail and $50 taxi if you go to Shelter Bay (which is a very nice, safe, well-run marina across from Colon by the western end of the jetty.

Get a Digicel SIM card for your phone, it will work for voice and (slow) data if you are at the inner islands....poor/intermittent coverage in the outer islands.

Feel free to call me if you'd like to talk.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai at yahoo dot com
USA cell:+1 828-234-6819

On Sep 14, 2017, at 4:17 PM, rickgrimes1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'd like to correspond with, or speak with, anyone who is cruising (or has recently cruised) their Amel in Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, and up through Belize, etc. (on the Caribbean side) and is willing to share their experiences. We are currently in Curacao and thinking of continuing west this coming season.  You can reach me at rickgrimes1@....  THANKS!

Rick Grimes
ASM2K (#404)