From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 3:02 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs

Hi Pat,
The waste gate operates by exhaust gas pressure. The round part contains a bellows that expands as pressure increases with revs resulting in the rod moving. The lever on the turbo that the rod attaches to goes through the housing to a butterfly valve. As the rod moves this opens progressively reducing the gas going to the turbo. If you take the rod off this lever you should be able to turn it easily.
If you have ever looked into the intake for an old style carburetor the butterfly valve is similar to the choke butterfly there.
On mine where the shaft of the lever to the valve went through the turbo housing is where it seized. I like you generally ran at conservative revs, seldom more than 2000 which may be below the level where the waste gate begins to move. Did this contribute to it seizing? I don't know but it is possible I suppose. Anyway. Take the rod off the lever and see if it will move. As to ring damage to my untrained mind it seems un likely to happen that quickly. When all else has been tried get a compression test done. Best of luck finding a mechanic with the connections needed.
Regards
Danny
On 16 September 2017 at 00:48 "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Danny, I eliminated the obvious first, But have been wondering if it could be a turbo issue. I had it rebuilt 550 hrs. ago . I ran the engine slower than I should for long periods , trying to conserve fuel on long passages . The elbow had no carbon , what would cause the waste gate to seize up ? I was able to achieve 3000 rpms probably 20 engine hrs. ago , and have not ran the engine hard since then , Could damage to the rings occur that quickly ? I don't understand what moves the  waste gate or determines its position . The round part , I have always wondered what that looks like inside , and what makes it expand or contract to move the arm or even if it does. Owning a boat is a never ending education , and I have a C average.
Thanks,
Pat