From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 5:05 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs

Pat,

Salt water isthe enemy. I am hoping someone else will chime in here as I am not familiarwith the elbow and the exhaust set up on Volvo. You may be getting a fine mist orsteam into the turbo. I am really not sure.

On the Yanmarit is important to keep the elbow clean because carbon coated sides can aid toa back up of water into the turbo as the walls can retain water once the engineis stopped turning into salty steam. Keeping the exhaust manifolds clean is alsoa good thing.

Yanmar makes acleaner for turbos but soapy water can be used just as well. It involves twopeople, one to drive the boat above 2000 rpm and another to spray cleaner intothe tubo (through the air intake) while it is turning at a high rate. Thisremoves any carbon buildup from the turbo.

Diesels do needto be run hard. We are all guilty of running for long hours at low RPM. They reallydon’t like this much. Push the throttle up for about 2-3 minutes every hour, orso. I push mine to about 2700-2800 rpm for about 2 minutes. This also helps tosee if the engine is cooling properly (180-195). If the heat exchanger isclogged, this is when its going overheat. I get nervous about this every time Ido it. I always expect a massive explosion and parts flying everywhere in theengine room. So far, this hasn’t happened.

IMHO, turbochargers have no place on a boat. The theory is to add more horses with lessweight. I would take the weight over a turbo any day. I think this is a fineexample of a manufacturer trying to adapt a land engine for a marine environmentwithout thinking it through. And, the marine market is not large enough for acommitted marine diesel engine company. How nice would it be to have a simple dieselengine with a compression release lever and a back up crank start. Kinda likethe tractors of the old days. It’s a conspiracy to make things more complicatedfor sailors. But then again, what do I know.

With bestregards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel- Cream Puff