Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs and Temperature reading

Patrick McAneny

Mark, I for one agree , I wish I did not have a turbo, just another complexity , that is really not necessary . You brought up one other issue that I am dealing with , engine temperature . I had a new Volvo instrument panel installed a few years ago and the temp gauge ran hot like 230 F. The mechanic installed a 10 ohm resister I think, in the wiring to bring the reading down . Seemed very arbitrary to me , seemed to me a Volvo gauge should correctly read a Volvo sender without regulating the signal. So I have never had faith in the gauge and running hard 2500 rpm the gauge reads 225 F. , using a infrared gun at the thermostat I have had readings of 200 to 205 or higher . This is another reason I have ran slower to keep the temp. down. I clean the heat exchanger yearly ,transmission cooler, new impeller ,etc. I am not sure if I have an overheating problem or not , not sure what one would expect the temp to be at the thermostat , two different guns give me different readings and the gauge can't be trusted.
Its always something,
Pat
SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 5:05 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs

Pat,

Salt water isthe enemy. I am hoping someone else will chime in here as I am not familiarwith the elbow and the exhaust set up on Volvo. You may be getting a fine mist orsteam into the turbo. I am really not sure.

On the Yanmarit is important to keep the elbow clean because carbon coated sides can aid toa back up of water into the turbo as the walls can retain water once the engineis stopped turning into salty steam. Keeping the exhaust manifolds clean is alsoa good thing.

Yanmar makes acleaner for turbos but soapy water can be used just as well. It involves twopeople, one to drive the boat above 2000 rpm and another to spray cleaner intothe tubo (through the air intake) while it is turning at a high rate. Thisremoves any carbon buildup from the turbo.

Diesels do needto be run hard. We are all guilty of running for long hours at low RPM. They reallydon’t like this much. Push the throttle up for about 2-3 minutes every hour, orso. I push mine to about 2700-2800 rpm for about 2 minutes. This also helps tosee if the engine is cooling properly (180-195). If the heat exchanger isclogged, this is when its going overheat. I get nervous about this every time Ido it. I always expect a massive explosion and parts flying everywhere in theengine room. So far, this hasn’t happened.

IMHO, turbochargers have no place on a boat. The theory is to add more horses with lessweight. I would take the weight over a turbo any day. I think this is a fineexample of a manufacturer trying to adapt a land engine for a marine environmentwithout thinking it through. And, the marine market is not large enough for acommitted marine diesel engine company. How nice would it be to have a simple dieselengine with a compression release lever and a back up crank start. Kinda likethe tractors of the old days. It’s a conspiracy to make things more complicatedfor sailors. But then again, what do I know.

With bestregards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel- Cream Puff
www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 3:57 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs

Mark, What would corrode the bearings , lack of oil or the carbon ?I justrebuilt the turbo 500 hrs. ago for about a thousand . I think I would prefer anaturally aspirated engine. I just got the wastegate free , but putit back together went for a spin , still at 2000 rpm tops. It must be theturbine , so I will take off and replace/rebuild it. That will now be about$2000 in the last 500 hrs. or about $4 per hour. , about the same as fuel. Thisis probably my fault for not running the engine hard enough . From now on , Iam going to run the snot out of it, no more Mr. Nice Guy !

Thanks all for the input,

Pat SM#123

From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]<amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Pat,

I am going to be the bearer ofbad news here. The blades should turn with the lightest touch. The fact yoursdon’t means the bearings are corroded. I do not know of a magic spray that canfix this. The turbo is going to have to be rebuilt or replaced. Ouch. Sorry.

But, on the bright side, youhave solved your problem.

Check a local shop for arebuild quote. If you are good with tools, you can buy rebuild kits on ebay.Youtube has videos of how to rebuild a turbo. If it were me, I’d take it to ashop for a quote.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 1:24 PM

Mark, I just got inside the turbo, the wastegate will not open , I just put PB blaster on the outside to see ifit loosens up , the turbine turns , but not easily , not as easy as I wouldexpect. I was wondering if there was any product that would be safe to spray onthe turbine to free it up.

Thanks,

Pat

From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@...[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Pat,

You have too little powerbecause you have the incorrect mixture of air and fuel in the cylinder.

Once you get the turbo off, youshould be able to look into the turbo and see the blades. The blades shouldturn with a very slight touch. If this is the case, chances are the turbo canbe salvaged. If the blades are corroded and stuck, I would expect to see hugeamounts of black smoke as you rev up the engine with a load. I am hoping yourissue is just not this serious and the turbo can be repaired by a local shop.

One more thought, perhaps youcan put some penetrating lubricant on the lever of the waste gate. Try to getit lose. Work it open and closed until it is smooth. I wonder if it could bethis easy J.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 12:02 PM

Mark , Thank you you have been abig help. Disconnected , the lever to the wastegate does not move , so I nowknow I have a problem in the turbo. I am guessing it is stuck closed. If closedI would think I would have too much power , not to little , unless the turboitself is not spinning , stuck.

Thanks,

Pat

From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@...[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 11:36 am

Hi Pat,

I am not sure. You have reachthe limit of my knowledge about this. The fact the lever is seized is a problem.The symptoms of this not working correctly would be as you have described.However, I am unfamiliar with the turbo you have. I would suggest at this pointtaking the turbo off and having a rebuild shop look at it. There are only acouple of manufactures of turbo in the world so they will know it when they seeit.

Once the lever is disconnectedthe gate or lever on the housing of the turbo should easily open and close thewaste gate inside the turbo. The resistance comes from the tension in the actuator(round thing).

With the rod disconnected, doesthe rod move in and out of the actuator? Is it the lever on the turbo housingthat is stuck? You might be able to replace just the actuator. If the corrosionis in the turbo, this is more costly.

You will want to have the wastegate set to Volvo specs. The wrong adjustment here can cause serious damage tothe engine. Again, sorry I am not that familiar with the Volvo.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:40 AM

I disconnected the arm/rod fromthe wastegate lever, I was able to push to rod towards theactuator slightly . I put vise grips on the wastegate lever and wasnot able with great effort , to move it more than 1/32 of an inch . Should Inot be able to move the lever and open and close the gate by hand? The lever ispointing straight forward , would that be open or closed? What would preventthe gate from moving ? Hate to ask all these questions, but I don't know the answers .

Thanks,

Pat SM123

Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 9:11 am
Subject: RE: [Amel YachtOwners] RPMs

Pat,

From what you describe, I amassuming you have an external waste gate. Here is a youtube video that should giveyou an idea of how it should move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2i_bQBEP78

You should be able to move therod a little by hand to see if it is seized.

One other thought, is the hoseto the waste gate in good condition?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [AmelYacht Owners] RPMs

Mark, So you are saying , that Ishould easily be able to move the lever arm and the connected rod on the turbo? I could not move it at all . With the engine running and as I push thethrottle up , what should I expect to see , would there be a noticeablemovement ? This could be it , maybe the gate is stuck open or closed , whichwould have to impact rpms.I will disconnect the arm and see if I can move the lever on the turbo .If I can , then maybe the problem is with the circular part that the arm isconnected to. I don,tunderstand what this part does. Does it expand and contract , thus moving thearm/lever ? I appreciate you taking your time to help me sort this out. I havea friend that had a beautiful 45' Cabo Rico , he has said manytimes , he wished they had a group such as we do , to help sort problems out .The Amel group is perhapsone of the best reasons for purchasing an Amel.

Thanks Again,

Pat

SMShenanigans

Sent: Thu, Sep 14, 201710:13 pm

Pat,

Forgot to say, yes you shouldbe able to move it easily.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 3:00 PM

Mark, The prop is clean , thelinkage is ok , the fuel filters are new and I see no signs of leakage on anyfuel line. I just took off the exhaust elbow and it was clean , even shiny , except was a few small clumps of mush seemingly oil soaked , maybe ateaspoon total. I took off the turbo shield and the short rod that controls thewaste gate is rusty as well as the circular piece where it enters. I could notmove the rod , should I be able to ? Could my problem be a stuck wast gate ?

Thanks,

Pat SM#123

Sent: Mon, Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Pat, the fact you can get to3000rpm in neutral doesn’ttell us much. It is the load that is causing the problem. The engine is notgenerating enough energy to offset the applied load. Fuel is energy. Thisusually means fuel issues. The more load, the more fuel is needed to create thehorsepower.

Where you able to get to 3000rpm right before you changed the filters? Or, was this something you did to tryto fix the issue?

Here are some additionalthoughts on fuel:

Do you have a lift pump forfuel? (not sure on the Volvo and your Amel). If so check the diaphragm,

Air in fuel lines (connectionsloose). The engine will pull air rather than fuel if it can.

O-rings sitting correctly onfuel filter give a good seal?

If you changed the fuel filteris the new one sitting correctly and sealed?

A couple of other thoughts:

Check for blockage in exhausthose (not enough air to burn fuel)

I know you said you cleaned theprop but is it possible something is caught in it (piece of rope or fishingline)

Let’s hope it is something thissimple J

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff -SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 5:42 PM

Mark, Thanks for getting back . Iused the same and correct filters. I observed that the linkage moved forwardwell beyond the 2200 point , but no further increase in rpms. The engine seems to runsmoothly , if it were an injector would you have a noticeable telltale ? Is thefact that in neutral It gets to 3000 rpm mean anything?

Thanks,

Pat

Sent: Mon, Sep 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Pat,

Here is a great page to giveyou some additional thoughts: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/understanding-low-power-troubleshooting/

White smoke is usually a signof not enough air intake or failing fuel injector(s). However, white smoke isusually pretty noticeable. You say “a little white smoke” so I would not thinkit is an indication.

Also, another common issue mostpeople do not check is the throttle linkage. Can you get RPM if you go down tothe engine an manually move the throttle?

Else, I would start with thefuel system and work from there.

“replaced both fuelfilters” did you replace them with the same type?

Tubofailure will usually pump out black smoke.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff -SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 3:50 PM
Subject: [AmelYacht Owners] RPMs

I have not been able to get above2200 rpms , normally Ihave always gotten to 3000 at full throttle on my Volvo TMD 22A . I justcleaned my fixed prop and replaced both fuel filters , still won't go beyond 2200 rpm. It willget above 3000 rpm in neutral and I notice a little white smoke. Any thoughtson what could cause the limited rpmsin gear . I rebuilt the turbo 3 years ago. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just read that the military haslanded in the BVIs and St.Martin to restore order . That has to be a relief to those stuck there . Ourthoughts and good wishes to everyone impacted by Irma.

Thanks,

Pat

SMShenanigans

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.