From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Sun, Sep 17, 2017 9:30 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs and Temperature reading

Good afternoon Pat,

I am slowly reading, in disorder, the Amel post and wanted to share my experience on the engine temperature.
The gage was showing my engine was running 195*F, I thought it was 10*F higher than normal.
So 3 years ago in Florida, a diesel company pushed me in spending over $8,000 in engine work over a 5 months period (heat exchanger cooling, re-calibrate injector, new turbo, thermostat, and so on) then my engine was running even warmer (205*F) (which we later find was due to an air pocket in the radiator - then I was glad to be back 195*F.
The gage was tested and was ok.
Then at the end I had a 2nd gage installed on the engine and it showed a 20*F cooler temperature…
So looking back I think it was the “wire” between the sensor and the gage that was getting old and showing a false reading.
Based on my experience and the fact you also have a 20*F difference between the gage and infrared gun, I suspect you have the same issue as I had.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Lost on September 5 during Hurricane Irma at
IGY Simpson Bay Marina, St Maarten, NA

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2017, 8:18 AM

Mark, I
for one agree , I wish I did not have a turbo, just another
complexity , that is really not necessary . You brought up
one other issue that I am dealing with , engine temperature
. I had a new Volvo instrument panel installed a few years
ago and the temp gauge ran hot like 230 F. The mechanic
installed a 10 ohm resister  I think, in the wiring to
bring the reading down . Seemed very arbitrary to me ,
seemed to me a Volvo gauge should correctly read a Volvo
sender without regulating the signal. So I have never had
faith in the gauge and running hard 2500 rpm the gauge reads
225 F. , using a infrared gun at the thermostat I have had
readings of 200 to 205 or higher . This is another reason I
have ran slower to keep the temp. down. I clean the heat
exchanger yearly ,transmission cooler, new impeller ,etc. I
am not sure if I have an overheating problem or not , not
sure what one would expect the temp to be at the thermostat
, two different guns give me different readings and the
gauge can't be trusted.
Its always something,

Pat

SM#123