Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs and Temperature reading
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, September 17, 2017, 5:31 PM

Alexandre
, I am humbled that amid all the chaos around you , you
would take  your time to respond . Diane and I have been
following you constantly on facebook well before Irma
struck. We could not be sadder for your lose , and for the
extremely difficult times you are going through . Take heart
in the knowledge that hundreds of people around the world
have you in their thoughts and prayers. We have another
friend that lives and works in the BVIs , and has for
decades , Todd Duff . Todd also lost his Amel in Nanny Cay ,
if he reads this , we would like him to know as well , that
we are thinking of him and his family and wish them a timely
recovery.
Best of Luck Alex,

Pat & Diane,

SM Shenanigans

-----Original
Message-----

From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

Date: Saturday, September 16, 2017, 8:18 AM

Mark, I

for one agree , I wish I did not have a turbo, just
another

complexity , that is really not necessary . You brought
up

one other issue that I am dealing with , engine
temperature

. I had a new Volvo instrument panel installed a few
years

ago and the temp gauge ran hot like 230 F. The mechanic

installed a 10 ohm resister  I think, in the wiring to

bring the reading down . Seemed very arbitrary to me ,

seemed to me a Volvo gauge should correctly read a Volvo

sender without regulating the signal. So I have never
had

faith in the gauge and running hard 2500 rpm the gauge
reads

225 F. , using a infrared gun at the thermostat I have
had

readings of 200 to 205 or higher . This is another reason

have ran slower to keep the temp. down. I clean the heat

exchanger yearly ,transmission cooler, new impeller ,etc.

am not sure if I have an overheating problem or not ,
not

sure what one would expect the temp to be at the
thermostat

, two different guns give me different readings and the

gauge can't be trusted.

Its always something,

Pat

SM#123

-----Original

Message-----

From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@...

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

To: amelyachtowners

<amelyachtowners@...>

Sent: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPMs

Pat,

Salt water is

the enemy. I am hoping someone else will chime in here as

am not familiar

with the elbow and the exhaust set up on Volvo. You may
be

getting a fine mist or

steam into the turbo. I am really not sure.

On the Yanmar

it is important to keep the elbow clean because carbon

coated sides can aid to

a back up of water into the turbo as the walls can
retain

water once the engine

is stopped turning into salty steam. Keeping the exhaust

manifolds clean is also

a good thing.

Yanmar makes a

cleaner for turbos but soapy water can be used just as
well.

It involves two

people, one to drive the boat above 2000 rpm and another

spray cleaner into

the tubo (through the air intake) while it is turning at

high rate. This

removes any carbon buildup from the turbo.

Diesels do need

to be run hard. We are all guilty of running for long
hours

at low RPM. They really

don’t like this much. Push the throttle up for about
2-3

minutes every hour, or

so. I push mine to about 2700-2800 rpm for about 2
minutes.

This also helps to

see if the engine is cooling properly (180-195). If the
heat

exchanger is

clogged, this is when its going overheat. I get nervous

about this every time I

do it. I always expect a massive explosion and parts
flying

everywhere in the

engine room. So far, this hasn’t happened.

IMHO, turbo

chargers have no place on a boat. The theory is to add
more

horses with less

weight. I would take the weight over a turbo any day. I

think this is a fine

example of a manufacturer trying to adapt a land engine
for

a marine environment

without thinking it through. And, the marine market is
not

large enough for a

committed marine diesel engine company. How nice would it
be

to have a simple diesel

engine with a  compression release lever and a back up

crank start. Kinda like

the tractors of the old days. It’s a conspiracy to
make

things more complicated

for sailors. But then again, what do I know.

With best

regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel

- Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@...

[mailto:amelyachtowners@...]

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 3:57 PM

To: amelyachtowners@...

Mark

,  What would corrode the bearings , lack of oil or the

carbon ?I just

rebuilt the turbo 500 hrs. ago for about a thousand . I

think I would prefer a

naturally aspirated engine. I just got the wastegate
 free

, but put

it back together went for a spin , still at 2000 rpm
tops.

It must be the

turbine , so I will take off and replace/rebuild it.
That

will now be about

$2000 in the last 500 hrs. or about $4 per hour. , about
the

same as fuel. This

is probably my fault for not running the engine hard
enough

. From now on , I

am going to run the snot out of it, no more Mr. Nice Guy

Thanks all for the

input,

Pat SM#123