From: 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:01 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Paul,

Do a Google search for a local shop that rebuilds turbos (are you in the USA?). If it is too badly corroded it  will not be repairable and you will have to get a new one. Also, Try Google Maps for a local shop. You can talk to just about any marine or car mechanic for a reference to a shop. Or you can mail it to someone like: http://www.certifiedturbo.com/

Rebuilding is usually about half the price of a new one.

I would imagine the marine Volvo dealer will have your turbo in stock and can quote you a price. Prepare for a shock!

As to you last question, if you continue to always run the engine at low rpms you will slowly kill it. You will experience massive carbon buildup and the long term repair will be …. well…. you’ll be thinking about buying a new engine or a complete rebuild. Besides, your fuel economy will suck and we’ll all be able to see you because of the black smoke you are blowing out J

When making long runs under power at a continual speed, the engine should be taken to full power for one or two minutes every hour. This will blow out the carbon and keep your engine clean inside. This is probably in your engine manual.

Hope this helps

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us