Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

paul schofield <pwschofield@...>

Thank you Mark.  The running high RPMs periodically is something I’ve always done on previous boats for the exact reason you mention.  Wasn’t sure though if that practice was turbo related or over-all engine related. 

The one internet source I’ve found which I haven’t verified through phone contact, is over $1800.  Probably $2000 after tax and freight.

Still searching.

Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:01 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Paul,

Do a Google search for a local shop that rebuilds turbos (are you in the USA?). If it is too badly corroded it  will not be repairable and you will have to get a new one. Also, Try Google Maps for a local shop. You can talk to just about any marine or car mechanic for a reference to a shop. Or you can mail it to someone like: http://www.certifiedturbo.com/

Rebuilding is usually about half the price of a new one.

I would imagine the marine Volvo dealer will have your turbo in stock and can quote you a price. Prepare for a shock!

As to you last question, if you continue to always run the engine at low rpms you will slowly kill it. You will experience massive carbon buildup and the long term repair will be …. well…. you’ll be thinking about buying a new engine or a complete rebuild. Besides, your fuel economy will suck and we’ll all be able to see you because of the black smoke you are blowing out J

When making long runs under power at a continual speed, the engine should be taken to full power for one or two minutes every hour. This will blow out the carbon and keep your engine clean inside. This is probably in your engine manual.

Hope this helps

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:26 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Hello everyone.  Lately there has been a thread regarding RPMs.  This is a problem that I've had with our Volvo since we purchased the boat a year ago.  I had always feared it was the turbo since I never could hear that telltale turbo whine.  Well today, my suspicions were confirmed.  The turbo is seized solid.  

So now I look at my options.  My current web search doesn't seem to be yielding many sources, so I turn to the group to pick your collective brain.  

Has anyone had any experience with or know someone who has rebuilt a turbo off of the TMD22?   Is rebuilding a turbo economical?  

Does anyone know a source for a new turbo?  

And if you'll indulge me, I'll ask a third question that I'm sure will solicit some colorful comments.  Let me preface the question with a couple observations.  1.  Turbo chargers in a marine environment seem to have a lot of associated problems.  2.  I've been running the boat this last year including motoring from Ft. Lauderdale to Brunswick, GA in a head sea, and the boat seems to run well and I can achieve 6+ knots with no problem except I cannot exceed 2000rpm.  

So here's my questions.  What is the downside to removing the turbo altogether, short of a few horsepower and a knot or two?  

OK, putting on my Kevlar underwear.  

Turbo part number reference: Perkins p/n 2674A120

Paul

SM215

SV Trillium

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.