Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 4:25 PM

Hello everyone.  Lately there has been a
thread regarding RPMs.  This is a problem that I've had
with our Volvo since we purchased the boat a year ago.  I
had always feared it was the turbo since I never could hear
that telltale turbo whine.  Well today, my suspicions were
confirmed.  The turbo is seized solid.
So now I look at my options.  My
current web search doesn't seem to be yielding many
sources, so I turn to the group to pick your collective
brain.
Has anyone had any
experience with or know someone who has rebuilt a turbo off
of the TMD22?   Is rebuilding a turbo economical?

Does anyone know a source
for a new turbo?
And if
you'll indulge me, I'll ask a third question that
I'm sure will solicit some colorful comments.  Let me
preface the question with a couple observations.  1.
Turbo chargers in a marine environment seem to have a lot of
associated problems.  2.  I've been running the boat
this last year including motoring from Ft. Lauderdale to
Brunswick, GA in a head sea, and the boat seems to run well
and I can achieve 6+ knots with no problem except I cannot
exceed 2000rpm.
So
here's my questions.  What is the downside to removing
the turbo altogether, short of a few horsepower and a knot
or two?
OK, putting on my
Kevlar underwear.
Turbo
part number reference: Perkins p/n 2674A120
PaulSM215SV
Trillium