Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi. I have a near new tmd22 turbo sitting in my cupboard. As part of my attempts to get my engine going I bought and installed. Shortly there after I gave up and bought a new motor. I also have a fully reconditioned injector pump.
If you or anyone else is interested contact me at simms@...
Regards
Danny
SM299 Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 20 Sep 2017 09:25, "pwschofield@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.  Lately there has been a thread regarding RPMs.  This is a problem that I've had with our Volvo since we purchased the boat a year ago.  I had always feared it was the turbo since I never could hear that telltale turbo whine.  Well today, my suspicions were confirmed.  The turbo is seized solid.

So now I look at my options.  My current web search doesn't seem to be yielding many sources, so I turn to the group to pick your collective brain.

Has anyone had any experience with or know someone who has rebuilt a turbo off of the TMD22?   Is rebuilding a turbo economical?

Does anyone know a source for a new turbo?

And if you'll indulge me, I'll ask a third question that I'm sure will solicit some colorful comments.  Let me preface the question with a couple observations.  1.  Turbo chargers in a marine environment seem to have a lot of associated problems.  2.  I've been running the boat this last year including motoring from Ft. Lauderdale to Brunswick, GA in a head sea, and the boat seems to run well and I can achieve 6+ knots with no problem except I cannot exceed 2000rpm.

So here's my questions.  What is the downside to removing the turbo altogether, short of a few horsepower and a knot or two?

OK, putting on my Kevlar underwear.

Turbo part number reference: Perkins p/n 2674A120

Paul

SM215

SV Trillium