Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Oil Change or addition for Mango furler gearbox

Steve Leeds

Ken,
When saltwater gets past the shaft (stainless furler tube) seal, the aluminum casing at the top of the gear case gets corroded and seizes up the shaft. If there is grease/oil in the bottom (round) area of the gearbox, maybe the large bearings are OK. My solution to the above seizing is to install only double-lip seals, carefully polish the shaft bearing surface, thoroughly clean the aluminum gearbox adjacent to the shaft at the top and coat the whole area to include the seal spring with "Lanocote". The seal itself must be carefully seated and may need to be sealed into the case (a bit of a trick after coating everything with Lanocote). The bearing surface of the seal and the shaft must be lubricated with marine grease prior to insertion into the case and seal. A lot of work, but does help! This area is above whatever grease or oil you use in the gearbox, which is why it needs special preparation.

Steve Leeds
Yacht MACCABEE
Sharki #121
Fort Lauderdale
Circumnavigator's Yacht Service
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/l/e/leedss/

----- Original Message ----
To: Amel Owners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:32:01 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Oil Change or addition for Mango furler gearbox

I put all new bearings,seals and gaskets in all the boxes before I left US
5/20/2007. I used Super Lube ( a heavy silicone grease, canada)
in the jib box, it looked about the same consistancy of what
(22 year old?? unknown) came out (putty knife and fingers thick, not
pourable).
A few days out of Bermuda it got a little "stiff". I could barely move
it by hand out of gear. I poured in about 1 cup of 90 wt. gear oil, the
only thing I had, and after working it with a 2 ft. rod if freed right up.
I think a very heavy (barely) pourable is the way to go.

Has worked great since. Now I am torn between tearing it apart again to
look
at my new/old bearings or just continuing to pray.

The mainmast units I used 90 wt, and have been fine.

Ps. Anyone: We just decided to go to Greece and Turkey over the
summer and winter there next year. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Ken Coats & Judy Golden
SV Golden Daze
Maramu 1985 #192
Seville Spain

<!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px 14px;} #ygrp-mkp hr{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;} #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0px;} #ygrp-mkp #ads{ margin-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding:0 0;} #ygrp-mkp .ad a{ color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;} --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{ font-family:Arial;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:10px 0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;} --> <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs{
font-family:Arial; clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;} #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc{ background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0;} o{font-size:0;} .MsoNormal{ margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%;} blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4;} -->

____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.