Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Mike Ondra

Pat,

I was afraid you’d ask that. I didn’t say because I couldn’t remember. As I recall I did drop it off to their shop on the way home from Rock Hall, but I don’t recall why they felt it was not rebuildable.

Sorry for the non-informational answer.

Mike

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 6:14 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Mike, Why did you opt to replace to turbo , rather than have it rebuilt? Thanks for the info , I will contact them.

Pat 

SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Hi Pat.

We replaced our turbo in 2013. Purchased from Marine Parts Express in Maine (google it) and received great service. They seemed to know Volvo/Penta quite well.  Price was $1750 plus $500 for the core which was refunded when I shipped the old one back to them. Additionally there were 2 gaskets at about $25 each.

Also you might try Blouch Performance Turbo in Lebanon, PA. 717-865-3276. I found them helpful. They are a Garrett Turbo shop, and at least on Aletes our turbo was a Garrett. They rebuild. Garrett has a troubleshooting guide on their website and other information more than you may want to look at.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:49 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Paul. I am dealing with a turbine that is not spinning freely , and started the previous thread . I would be taking  the turbo off this week to clean ,if possible , if not send it out to rebuild. I am reluctant to remove it now as Hurricane Maria may approach the east coast next week and I want to be able to move my boat. We are planning to leave on a trip down the C Bay in about a week and won't have time to rebuild before we leave . I was wondering if we did not push the throttle beyond 2000 rpm (top rpm now) if it would be safe to operate the boat without doing any damage to the engine. I had this turbo rebuilt three years ago at a cost of aprox. $ 800.00 . I am presently looking for the name of the turbo shop , to use again if needed .

Good Luck ,

Pat

SM #123

-----Original Message-----
From: pwschofield@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Tue, Sep 19, 2017 5:25 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Hello everyone.  Lately there has been a thread regarding RPMs.  This is a problem that I've had with our Volvo since we purchased the boat a year ago.  I had always feared it was the turbo since I never could hear that telltale turbo whine.  Well today, my suspicions were confirmed.  The turbo is seized solid.  

So now I look at my options.  My current web search doesn't seem to be yielding many sources, so I turn to the group to pick your collective brain.  

Has anyone had any experience with or know someone who has rebuilt a turbo off of the TMD22?   Is rebuilding a turbo economical?  

Does anyone know a source for a new turbo?  

And if you'll indulge me, I'll ask a third question that I'm sure will solicit some colorful comments.  Let me preface the question with a couple observations.  1.  Turbo chargers in a marine environment seem to have a lot of associated problems.  2.  I've been running the boat this last year including motoring from Ft. Lauderdale to Brunswick, GA in a head sea, and the boat seems to run well and I can achieve 6+ knots with no problem except I cannot exceed 2000rpm.  

So here's my questions.  What is the downside to removing the turbo altogether, short of a few horsepower and a knot or two?  

OK, putting on my Kevlar underwear.  

Turbo part number reference: Perkins p/n 2674A120

Paul

SM215

SV Trillium

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.