Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild
Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air <jgermain@...>
Hello Gents,toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
I too went through the TURBO overhaul… twice!
A very smart diesel engineer told me the following to avoid the thing seizing… which it typically does during the off season when the boat is not in use.
- Once in a while, remove the ancillary intake ducting. This includes both the duct and the air filter.
- With a piece of wood, try to spin the turbo. If it spins freely, spray it with WD40 and leave it alone.
- If it does not spin, remove it and place it in a diesel solution for some time…
- Try to spin again, it should .. if not, it needs overhaul. :-(
Preventive actions when laying up the boat:
- Remove exhaust hose
-Spin turbo with a piece of wood.
- IF OK, spare liberally with WD40
- Place a clean rag in both the intake and the exhaust side to prevent moisture entry.
- Lead exhaust pipe off.
Apparently, the humidity generated by the salt water in the exhaust is the prime cause of TC seizures in TMD22’s
Hope this helps.
SY Eleuthera, SM 007