Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: ICOM SSB Radio Options

Craig and Jan Scott <sv_seabbatical@...>

Bill,
Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Craig

On Jan 19, 2008 8:51 AM, svbebe <yahoogroups@svbebe.com> wrote:

Hi Craig,

For what it is worth, I also found this info:

* ICOM M801 v M802
Although the M801E <http://www.seacom.co.uk/M801/index.html> and
M802 look the same that is where the difference finishes.
The M801E <http://www.seacom.co.uk/M801/index.html> is housed in
a more robust housing with heavy duty connectors, ideal for the
marine environment.
* By using the latest DSP technology, the M801E
<http://www.seacom.co.uk/M801/index.html> has better receiver
performance.
The M801E is a fully complaint class 'E' DSC unit offering a full
range of DSC features compared with the M802 limited range of DSC
functions.

* The M801E <http://www.seacom.co.uk/M801/index.html> is CE approved
where the M802 is not.
Best,

Bill Rouse
BEBE SM2 #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
"svbebe" <yahoogroups@...>

wrote:

Hi Craig,

It has been about 1 year since Judy and I met you aboard the Beneteau
s/v Seabbatical at St. Johns. We have a SM2 "BEBE" (formerly
SECURITY).

I believe the primary reason is that the power supply requirement of
the 802 is 13.6 volts. This would require you to also purchase an
ICOM DC24-12 converter to convert 24 volts to 13.6 (Amel installed one
of these on our boat to power a Furuno 12 volt SSB).

The Icom 801 has a 12 and 24 volts supply...meaning no converter.

I believe if you bought the 802 and the ICOM DC24-12 converter that
you would probably spend more that the 801 alone and have twice the
possibility of failure...the power ON/OFF switch on our ICOM converter
failed about 3 months ago...I had a heck of a time finding a
replacement in Panama.

When do you plan to pick up the 54?

Best,

Bill Rouse
BEBE SM2 #387
www.bebe.com

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com<amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
"sv_seabbatical"
sv_seabbatical@ wrote:

Can anybody tell me why the IC-M801 Single Side Band radio (offered
on
the Amel 54) is better than the IC-M802?

They have an option to install a cusomer supplied radio and I am
trying
to determine if I should provide them with an IC-M802 (which would
be
significantly less expensive) or go with their option.

Craig Scott