Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering Cables

Hi guys,

I had the same failure and rebuilt my own at 1/10 the cost of a factory rebuild.  It was surprisingly easy.

Take piccies while dismantling and do the reverse when rebuilding….

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM007

On 26 Sep 2017, at 08:52, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Drew,

I don't know if it is the same problem you are having, but we had a similar noise, and it turned out to be the Raymarine Rotary drive. Our noise got worse over a couple of years, and finally the drive completely failed, and would not steer the boat. We had it rebuilt by Raymarine USA for a flat rate of $650, and now we have no noise. Our failure ended up being a couple of gears in the drive unit, which eventually completely failed.

Good luck figuring it out.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Santa Marta, Columbia

Steve Davis
S/V Aloha

On Sep 26, 2017, at 6:42 AM, drew.gaffney@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Some owners have described a click or stiffiness.  WIth Revelation, whether hand steering or using the chain-drive A/P, rough seas cause a loud twangy pop.  It was there 4yr ago, crossing the Indian Ocean, but has gotten worse recently. There is lubrication at the quadrant ends of the cables.  There is no looseness where the cables are attached to the R&P.  Steering is smooth and there's full range of rudder turn without difficulty.  The popping is only when extra force is required for rough seas, big waves., etc.

We're hauling out this week for the winter, and wanted to get this resolved before next season.

Thank you,

Drew Gaffney

SY Revelation SM390

Lying Portimao, Portugal