Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Iridium Go or Iridium 9555 with Red Port Optimiser

Stephen Davis

We have been using our Iridium Go for over 2 years, and would not leave home without it. We have the external antenna, have it hard mounted at the Nav station, and rarely have connection issues when offshore.

We use it with predict wind, and with sailmail to get weather and email. Anytime we are off the grid it is our primary email, and we text with it as well.  Since we are headed across the Pacific soon, and it will be used constantly, we have the unlimited data plan. I have found that both the PredictWind service and the the email and texting has improved in the couple of years we have been using them. The unlimited plan also gives us 150 minutes of satellite talk time a month, which has been invaluable when needed.

If you plan on spending a lot of time on longer passages or off the grid, I think it is the most economical and reliable system out there.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Santa Marta, Columbia

Steve Davis
S/V Aloha

On Oct 3, 2017, at 8:24 AM, Thomas Peacock peacock8491@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We’ve had a Go for about two years now, but don’t use it much due to lack of being in blue water as much as we would like. However, when we are offshore it has worked quite well. Free texts from those on shore is a great feature. The phone service is OK to pretty good. What I really like about it is the GRIB files that we can download on the iPad and then integrate with the chart program on the iPad.

Everyone here seems to like Predictwind, but I haven’t tried it. I do get free GRIB files on a daily basis from Global Marine, which seems to provide enough info for me, but maybe I’m naive about how more data might help. Any insights about Predictwind would be helpful, thanks.

Tom Peacock
SM 2000 #240 Aletes
Rock Hall, Maryland; sailing for Antigua November 3