Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Speaking of temperatures and alarms

Ryan Meador

I've been contemplating making this change myself, particularly since my 12V blower doesn't work right now (the blower and breakers are fine, there is a power problem upstream that I haven't been able to figure out yet).  I was wondering if perhaps I need a 12V charging system to keep my starting battery topped up over the winter when it isn't in use.  If I were to add such a thing, then running the blower becomes a no-brainer.  Has anyone added a 12V charger, and if so, how did you go about it?  Does it charge from 230VAC or from 24VDC?

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

It would not be difficult to do, but I'd be worried about discharging the 12v starting battery since the blowers are 12v, and are high draw items. We typically open the engine room hatch for a few minutes after shutting down to allow some of the heat to escape. It works and is low tech.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 9:33 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Has anyone rigged a thermostat to run a blower when the engine (or genset) are not running, but the engine room is really hot?  Typically our engine room gets quite hot AFTER the main engine has been shut down, the blowers stop, and the heat soaks out of the block.

It gets hot enough it starts to approach the upper specification temperatures for some of the electrical gear.

I have a couple ideas on how to go about it, but maybe someone else has had a better idea...

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Back Creek, Annapolis, MD