Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine exhaust hull fitting and copper water lines

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Sounds good as long as you are monitoring, and have something to use for emergency repair.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Oct 5, 2017 11:17 AM, "john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Eric and Bill.

I spent the morning with Dr. Google learning about copper corrosion. Seems that there is a lot of chemistry involved and that the corrosion can be tough to knock out without aggressive cleaning.

 I like the idea of painting the lines, but they first need to be cleaned better than I am able to do in that particular corner of the ER.  I did clean off the loose blue flaky stuff and vacuum the area, but cannot get in there to wet clean and flush the lines.  My concern with a non neutralizing paint is that the corrosion can continue, and I won't see it.

Corrosion X claims on their website that it can displace the salts that are causing the corrosion on the copper lines then protect th em with a waxy film.  What do you think about Corrosion X instead of paint?   To me an "advantage" is that I can visually monitor the situation and if corrosion persists then replace the lines before they leak.

 I think I will get a micrometer down there today and figure out the line size and see if I can get some "spare" tubing to have on hand just in case.

                    Regards,  John