Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine exhaust hull fitting and copper water lines

eric freedman

John,

My friend Eric Forsyth swears by Rust Bullet. I can attest to its efficacy.

Eric incidentally has logged 375,000 miles on his home built 42 foot west sail. 2 circumnavigations, northwest passage, many times to the Antarctic. He is headed to Portugal from Madera at age 85 as we speak.

If you have a time look at his website and his book that was just published.

He is also a CCA Blue water medal recipient.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2017 11:18 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine exhaust hull fitting and copper water lines

Thanks Eric and Bill.  

I spent the morning with Dr. Google learning about copper corrosion. Seems that there is a lot of chemistry involved and that the corrosion can be tough to knock out without aggressive cleaning.

I like the idea of painting the lines, but they first need to be cleaned better than I am able to do in that particular corner of the ER.  I did clean off the loose blue flaky stuff and vacuum the area, but cannot get in there to wet clean and flush the lines.  My concern with a non neutralizing paint is that the corrosion can continue, and I won't see it.   

Corrosion X claims on their website that it can displace the salts that are causing the corrosion on the copper lines then protect them with a waxy film.  What do you think about Corrosion X instead of paint?   To me an "advantage" is that I can visually monitor the situation and if corrosion persists then replace the lines before they leak. 

I think I will get a micrometer down there today and figure out the line size and see if I can get some "spare" tubing to have on hand just in case.   

Regards,  John

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.