Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge Pump Quit

Dominique Guenot

This same Bilge pump plastic membrane got punctured twice in 2 years on Viva which gave me a lot of grief. Also based on this distribution list it seems a never ending story.

I replaced the pump by a Jabsco waste pump 50890-1100.
The benefits are:
- the suction is stronger, does not require a joker and I extended the pipe to empty the bilge minus 2cm; which is handy at the time of bilge cleaning.
- the pump is small compared to the initial one.
- 18 months later, so far so good.

Full disclosure the previous owner had already installed the same Jabsco pump with a floating sensor in case of bilge overflow. I can force them to work concurrently and also I tweaked the wiring so I can switch from one pump to another as needed. I like a lot this redundancy.

Hope it helps
Dominique
s/v Viva
# 374