Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Vetus Alarm

Duane Siegfri

I'm not sure what you could do on the liquid side.  Once the transmission oil is sucked out by the seawater flowing through the (perforated) cooler, friction quickly builds up heat in the transmission but there won't be any liquid in the lines to the cooler.  You would have to put a sensor on or in the transmission case.

Replacing the cooler every 2,000 engine hours might do it (as suggested), limiting the time the cooler has to corrode.  Checking on the bonding wire occasionally would also be a good idea, I believe that was the problem with my boat.  The failure happened within the first 10 engine hours of my ownership.

I just wanted to note that sensors on the seawater lines were not going to protect the transmission.

Duane