Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Vetus Alarm

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Just a suggestion:

It might be easier to monitor temperature of the transmission oil and the exhaust temperature using this:

I had installed the Borel alarm, but there was never any indication it worked and I never knew the actual temperature without going below with my laser temperature gun. But, of course, I never had an overheating situation.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 6:26 AM, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'm not sure what you could do on the liquid side.  Once the transmission oil is sucked out by the seawater flowing through the (perforated) cooler, friction quickly builds up heat in the transmission but there won't be any liquid in the lines to the cooler.  You would have to put a sensor on or in the transmission case.

Replacing the cooler every 2,000 engine hours might do it (as suggested), limiting the time the cooler has to corrode.  Checking on the bonding wire occasionally would also be a good idea, I believe that was the problem with my boat.  The failure happened within the first 10 engine hours of my ownership.

I just wanted to note that sensors on the seawater lines were not going to protect the transmission.

Duane