Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Keel bolts

smiles bernard

Many thanks Andy for taking the time to write and providing such great detail.
Many thanks also to Bill Fletcher similarly

Excellent to hear both your views about the heavy redundancy in the keel to hull join.

I'll have a peer in the fwd water tank section if only to get a sense of the keel bolts location etc but I'm taking this item if the 'need to investigate' list!

I'll also use the chance to loo at the water tanks. I'm wondering if they need a good clean as the water tastes a little odd.

I wonder if Amel considered encapsulating the keel. Perhaps they do on more recent boats but no doubt there are pros and cons

Many thanks again for your help and fair winds

Miles

On 10 Oct 2017, at 03:12, Andy Croney allezaubon@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi , we own a 1980 Maramu and had similar concerns before taking her offshore- before we went I asked many boat builders and all the experts re-assured us that the build quality , redundancy in the number of bolts and the stub keel design make it a non-issue for the Maramu. They further placated us in that there has never been any known catastrophic failure ( to date ) of an Amel's keel bolts, to their knowledge.

We made the 14 day non stop passage however the condition of the keel bolts was always in the back of my mind.

When we lifted the engine for reconditioning, we had good access to the deep bilge and could view the one bolt head .. like new . Then later when we cleaned the water tank we had access to the other bolts , they also looked in pristine condition.

In the saloon in front of the saloon table there is an easily accessible access opening for the tank , where you have the opportunity to easily view the bolts in that section .

Lastly, I was advised not to Pull a bolt for testing , as I would do more damage then good and as there did not appear to be any issues with any of them to leave well alone .

We are happy and sleep easy.

Trust the above is helpful.

Andy
SV Paladin