Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Electric Heads

Thomas Peacock

I cannot address the electric head issue, as we have manual Jabsco’s. Our boat was right on the cusp of switching from manual to electric.
That said, after having owned our fair ship for 8 years, I would like to solicit others’ experience.
We have two standard manual Jabsco’s. Do other SM owners with manual heads also have Jabsco’s?
I ask that, because they have been such a huge problem for us. I know that heads are often at the top of the list for maintaining.
However, ours have been particularly gruesome. The positioning of the holding tanks nearly a meter above the bottom of the head means a constant battle to prevent black water (extreme euphemism) from flowing back into the bowl, at times filling it. In the dark, the ladies can be very rudely surprised.
We have tried almost everything: changing joker (tricuspid) valves every month, purchasing the newer Jabsco “lock” handle mechanism, and finally putting an extra in-line valve between the head and the holding tank.
It is quite a bit better, but gravity still sometimes wins.
Are we alone?
Appreciate any feedback from this invaluable forum (for non-native English speakers, invaluable doesn’t mean not valuable, but rather extremely valuable). Don’t ask me why, not sure. For example, inhospitable means “not hospitable”, but inflammable means “extremely flammable”.
But I digress. Thanks again as always.

Tom Peacock
SM 240Aletes
Rock Hall, Maryland
Departing for Antigua November 3

On Oct 11, 2017, at 7:52 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian and Margaret,

Like you, our SM has two factory installed manual heads.  We are happy with them and have no plans to change them.

My experience with the Jabsco electric heads is very limited, and pretty much all bad--in some cases really bad! My sample size is small, and they really can't be as bad my impressions...  but I wouldn't go that way.

For 15 years I lived on a boat that had a Sealand Vacuflush.  It was fantastic.  Reliable.  If flushed with a tiny, tiny bit of fresh water (really important with Amel's tiny, tiny holding tanks!)

If I wanted to swap out to electric heads that would be the way I would go without a second thought.  Installation in an Amel would take a bit of thinking, but they have lots of configuration options.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Our SM has two manual heads, both Jabsco. We are looking at Installing Jabsco Quiet Flush Electric Heads. They seem to fit the SM head floor pan cut out nicely. Any opinions on number of electric heads? Two electric or one+manual? Other things we should consider?

Ian & Margaret

SM153

Loca Lola II

New River, Fort Lauderdale, Florida