Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker bottoms...

Craig Briggs

Hi Bill,
I didn't realize the SM's chain locker access panel was inside a cabinet, unlike the SN's which is exposed to the forward cabin right next to the bow thruster alcove. Wonder if you could vent the chain locker with a louver in the bow thruster alcove that you'd cover solidly offshore?

Interesting thought on using a deck hatch on the sole of the forward deck locker(s). I wonder how important, though, it is to keep the top deck locker area and bottom chain locker areas independently water tight. If the hull were broached down low, I suspect the added volume of water in the upper areas, were they both to flood, would not be significant - mine are already chock-a-block full of fenders, rodes, etc, such that I doubt I could squeeze in more than a pint :-).  Keeping them water tight, is, of course, more bullet-proof.

Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <greatketch@...> wrote :

Craig,

That's a great idea!  I wish it was that easy for me.  On my SM the aft bulkhead of the chain locker is the forward bulkhead of lockers in the forward cabin.  The only access into the chain locker is through those lockers.  Venting the chain locker would involve emptying that locker and leaving it open in.

You have me thinking now....  a largeish deck hatch installed in the locker sole might add a lot of access to the chain locker without compromising watertight integrity of the chain locker...

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sangaris@...> wrote :

I've clipped James' reply just to highlight the venting aspect. I had a louver made (matching the interior wood) for the forward bulkhead chain locker access panel. I keep in place instead of the solid panel unless making an offshore passage,  when I simply put switch it back to the solid panel..
Would suggest, when repairing the bow locker floor panels, that you include a lift out access panel in the middle so you can easily rinse out the chain locker periodically.
Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <lokiyawl2@...> wrote :

Bill,

   I inspected a 1984 Maramu which also had rotten panels in the bow locker.  .....     On my boat, I pull out the anchor rode,  rinse and dry on deck whenever possible.  I also wash out the anchor locker and usually keep the access door to the anchor locker partially or fully open to vent.  Anything that you can do to keep the humidity level down is helpful............ Best of luck with the repairs.

James Alton SV Sueno
Maramu #220