Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Electric Heads

Thomas Peacock

Our backflow problem has been much better the last 2 years with some modifications, but still not ideal.

I bought the locking pump mechanism as an entire new unit. Not much more $ than a rebuild kit. There is a bayonet in the lock that puts downward pressure on the flapper valve. That helped somewhat.
I then bought an in line valve (also a Jabsco part) that I inserted in the hose about three inches after it exits the head on its way to the tank. That helped immensely for about a year, then the backflow ensued.  I took the in line valve out and cleaned it, some sludge had accumulated. After putting it back, the head seems great again. Maybe there’s a trick in terms of flushing to prevent the sludge from accumulating.

Bottom line, it’s worth buying the locking pump and in line valve. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

One more tip, Defender sells a much more flexible black water hose. Immensely easier to work with. It’s called Raritan Sani. I highly recommend it.

Tom Peacock
Aletes SM 240

On Oct 12, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have Jabsco manual heads on my boat, and both of them exhibit the black water backflow problem Tom mentioned.  I was advised by the previous owner to flush extra seawater through so when (not if) they backflow, it will be "clean" water.  This works to a point.  If the holding tank is sufficiently full, it will backflow seemingly directly from the tank.  I suspect this is when the level of waste in the tank rises above the level of the discharge hose from the head, allowing it to siphon backwards until the level drops again.  I do not have a solution except to get pumped out more often.  I was considering swapping the heads for the version with the locking handle, does that really not work?  It seems like it should.  I'd love a better solution!

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Joel,

Your chemical engineer on call suggests that you might be looking for calcium hypochlorite rather than calcium chloride.

Other than that...  just like you said!

Bill Kinney
Sm160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD