greeting and question about AIS

Eric Freedman

Mark,
Why did you choose the seacas system over the NASA unit? Do you have a
Raymarine chart plotter on board? the Nasa black box will put the ais
targets on the C and E series chart plotters.
The install of the Ais antenna is simple.
I believe I suggested the sea me unit to you. If the unit is mounted as on
Kimberlite, there is a hole in the edge of the mizzen masthead on the
starboard side.
I just used a large reamer to enlarge the hole for the VHF antenna. Amel
left runners on the masthead to be able to pull a cable through the mast. It
is accessible at the bottom of the mast on the port side. It is a fiberglass
plate with two screws.
You pull the cable down to that point. Then go into the aft head and there
is a panel to the right of the mirror. Remove the panel and you will find a
piece of corrugated hose that leads up to the bottom of the mizzenmast with
the radar cable in it. You then just pill the cable down into the mirror
area with a snake. . there is a wood panel below the forward port in the aft
cabin . Remove this with the few wood screws. Incidentally, Amel uses torx
screws and not Phillips head screws. They look very similar, but the torx
screwdriver available from McMaster works much better on all the screws of
the boat. With this panel removed you can run the ais antenna cable across
the boat. Just follow the radar cable across the headliner in the mid-ships
bunk using the access panels. The cable then runs down into the forward
cabinet in the mid ships cabin. It is behind removable panels on the forward
side, which is held in with Velcro. Then remove the panel behind the
bookshelf and you are at the nav station. After mounting the antenna, I
believe we had the cable at the nav station in less than 30 minutes.
Fair Winds,
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite