Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] "Permanent" on 12v/24v

Patrick McAneny

Tom, There are many pieces of equipment throughout the boat located much further from the power source , with their breakers located next to the equipment. This has always concerned & puzzled  me , as we have long runs of hot wires not protected until they reach the breakers. Thursday evening Diane and I had the pleasure of having the owners of SM Kerpa , Paul and  Kerstin and Olivier as well , to our home for dinner . I asked about this set up , with breakers remotely located . Olivier pointed out that Amel now locates all the breakers in a central location , assumedly at the nav station and close to the batteries . This not only makes it much easier and quicker to locate the breakers , but provides protection from dead shorts . I think it was very good for Amel to adopt this electrical configuration . On our model , I think we need to assure that wires are bundled with minimum  movement and protected from chafe. Obviously, if Amel had a do over on our model , they would adopt this new configuration . We may get down to Rock Hall before , Nov , if so we"ll stop by .
Have a good trip,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Sun, Oct 15, 2017 8:46 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] "Permanent" on 12v/24v

One last thought or two:

To answer your question directly, no other reason to have an always hot Sailor transformer.

As a question to you and others:

I have just replaced the battery monitor due to the original unit going bad after 18 years (they don’t make them like they used to). Tracing the wiring, there are two permanently hot wires going from the battery to the monitor; each wire is fused, located in the battery compartment. The monitor instructions indicate that the fuses should indeed be placed as close as possible to the batteries. That all seems great and as it should be.

I was concerned about whether the permanent Sailor unit was fused in a similar fashion. However, the wiring as it exists goes through the breaker (but somehow bypassing it) in the hanging closet. That breaker dos not cut off power to the Sailor unit. The Sailor unit does have fuse, as per Olivier. Am I correct to assume that the lack of a fuse more proximal to the battery is still safe?

Thanks.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Oct 15, 2017, at 4:04 AM, gary@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Greetings!

As I've been engrossed in the bowl-of-spaghetti called "wiring" it has been a true learning/labeling/discovering/pondering process.
I've pulled a lot of 'deadwood' wiring out, upgraded and updated some of the not-so-stellar runs and connections and made a couple of (what I think are) improvements to the back-and-forth wire runs I've discovered.  
The wire Chase's were all stuffed soooo tightly, and when the old equipment came out (years ago, I guess) the cabling was just left in place. It's all good now,but I have a question about the three "Sailor" 24v-to-12v converters.
They appeared to be routed through one of the three breakers in the wet locker area (on the aft wall of the nav station) but one is marked "Permanent" which would seem to indicate it's 'hot' all the time.
Except for keeping data in the CD Player, is there a compelling reason this converter could not be switched off as well? I mean it probably draws next to nothing (all three of them combined are less than one amp when idle) but every quarter of an amp counts :)
As near as I can tell, all the 12v equipment (VHF, Autohelm, B&G computer, Chain Counter, AIS and stereo system) would not suffer from a switchable supply.
Is there something aboard, either 24v or 12v, that definitely requires permanent power?
Thanks in advance. It's been a heck of a project so far .. started out chasing a lost GPS signal and have been rewiring for two weeks now. The wire-tie folks love me :) 

Gary W.
S/V Adagio
Marmaris, Turkey

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.