Re: points to check before buying 2003 Amel SM 2000

mfmcgovern@...

I am a new owner of SM #440 Cara (July 2017).  I second Mark's comments:

1.  Get a surveyor who knows Amels.  I used Olivier Beaute for two separate surveys and can't recommend him strongly enough.  One deal I walked away from and the other one I bought the boat.  I don't regret either outcome.  Olivier worked for Amel for ~20 years and knows these boats better than probably anyone alive.  He charges the same as other surveyors and he gives you an introductory education about the boat and it's systems while he conducts the survey as long as you attend the survey.  It's priceless.  Contact info:  Olivier BEAUTE atlanticyachtsurvey@... Mob: +33 674 028 243; olivierbeaute AT gmail dot com

2. Get in touch with Bill Rouse even if you are not in North America.  Air travel and hotels are relatively cheap.  The experience and knowledge that comes from 11 years owning, living on, and sailing an Amel SM is priceless.

Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD