Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker bottoms...

James Alton

Bill,

   Sueno only has 50 meters of 3/8” chain plus 40 meters of 7/8” Nylon spliced to the chain.  The 50 meters does not make a very large pile.  I have two of the approx. 30”  x 3/4” thick  closed cell foam play matts that I set on the deck just aft of the sub. bow locker on to which I pile the chain.  I don’t lay the chain out for rinsing because of the possible deck damage you are referring to and I don’t think that it is needed to get the salt off.  There are lots of holes in the piled up chain to spray water into and just a couple minutes  of rinsing seems to be all that is needed.  The chain seems to dry out quickly in the sun in the Med., the line is a lot slower taking a day.  I don’t bother to do this while I am cruising continuously but when I stop at a marina with water available this is one of the first tasks I attend to on the boat after getting things secured.  The chain locker also gets a quick rinse and a sponging of the bottom.  My drain is slightly above the bottom of the locker for some reason,  I was thinking of changing this so that all of the water would drain out of the locker without any bailing.  Is there an Amel reason for not having the drain at the very bottom of the locker?   This is the first boat that I have owned on which the “Things to change” list has gotten shorter the longer I have owned the boat and I am being careful not to alter anything unless I am really sure it should be done.

   Thank you for telling me about the Super Maramus not having drains for the deck lockers,  I am surprised that I missed that point and am glad to be corrected.  In case it helps, I think that the drain arrangement on the Maramu was very intelligently done by Amel.  There are two drains of course, Port and Stb. with cowls over the holes facing aft.  But the really interesting part of the design is that a trough was created between the drains Port and Stb. so that any water that comes in one drain tends to stay in the trough and  run right across and out the other side.  I have never seen anything in the locker before other than some minor dampness in the areas of the drains so I think that the locker bottoms might also slope to the drains.  I have also not beat to windward in more than 6’ seas nor seen more than 43 knots on this boat so maybe in severe conditions the drains are more of a problem. I am considering a minor change in the drains.  It should be possible to create a baffle that would prevent the entry of any water into the lockers from the drains.  It would work a little like the Aqua lift muffler to block water flowing in and allow any water that did enter to flow out of the drain when the bow lifted.  The twist turns on my bow lockers don’t really apply any compression to the gasket.  Are the bow locker gaskets compressed on the Super Maramu?

   Keeping spaces, stuff salt free and dry on a cruising boat is a real challenge,  I completely agree with you.

Best,

James

On Oct 18, 2017, at 12:26 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James,

How do you lay out 100 meters of anchor chain on deck for rinsing and drying without beating the deck all to hell?  I haven't ever figured out a way to do that.

When I had a local fiberglass guy look at my anchor lockers to give a quote for the repair, the FIRST thing he wanted to do was add overboard drain holes to the lockers--which Super Maramus do not have.

I explained that on an Amel, if there is significant amounts of water coming into those lockers, something is wrong. Fix the problem (stop the water leaking in) rather than trying to fix the symptom (draining the water).  In a properly maintained bow locker on a Super Maramu, more water will come IN from an external drain than from any other source.

That doesn't mean the locker will be bone dry. Putting salty wet sails and lines in there will crea te a swamp-like environment, that's a different problem.  Keeping stuff as unsalty and as dry as possible is always a good thing--and much more challenging on a cruising boat than on a boat with a home port.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD
Leaving for warm climes in a few days.