Re: Companionway key

greatketch@...

I think that lockset is the ONLY part an Amel shares with a Beneteau...

Anybody can CUT the key, the problem as most people have found is the key blank itself is rather rare--at least in the US.

After struggling to find one in Florida, Karen carried one while visiting her sister in Texas, walked into an old-fashioned locksmith shop. The guy took one look and said, "A Y2!  You don't see those too often."  He reached up to his board and pulled one down.  Presto!  We had the spare key we had been looking for.

I don't know what the difference between a "Yale Y2" and a "Y1-E ACE" is, if any...

We ordered a stash of 10 of the same blank from Amazon. They work in our lock.  If anybody else gets stuck, let us know and we'll drop one in the mail to you.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD
Heading South in a few days.

---In amelyachtowners@..., <smlocalola@...> wrote :

For all our fellow SMers in South Florida area, we've looked everywhere and finally found a master key maker that duplicated our companionway key. ACE hardware off 17th St. In the Harbor Shoppes plaza. Ask for Bob and use key style Y1E-ACE. If anyone that is not in the area needs assistance, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Ian Townsend

Loca Lola II

SM153

New River, Fort Lauderdale, Florida